ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier: How to Solve the Mysteries of Weak Writing - Bonnie Trenga This isn't your typical English Grammar book. The author tries to enliven traditional rules by listing ten unforgivable crimes committed against the English language. She cross examines each heinous crime, such as Passive Voice and Nominalization, in thorough detail.

Do not expect to become a grammarian in one reading. Instead, I would recommend reading through the book once, but then keeping it available for quick reference access and future memory reinforcement.

The major downside of leaving a review for this book is that I have to second-guess myself. Usually I will spit out the review and call it a day. However, especially when reviewing this book about grammar, I'm second guessing every keystroke, smashing backspace indefinitely. I'm nervous that the grammar rules swimming in my head will drown the creative energy of my writing. If anyone knows of a book that combines and nurtures both elements, please let me know!