ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore - William Joyce, Joe Bluhm I usually try to separate my children’s book reviews on Amazon and my book feed on goodreads. This book is the exception. Everyone—no matter the age or genre interest—should read this book.

Sometimes we are fortunate to have a story medium transcend the barrier between what is called a children’s story and what is a story for adults. In books, I would liken this to something like Where the Wild Things Are. For movies, this is like Toy Story; it is something that can be enjoyed and appreciated by people of all ages. Fantastic Flying Books is a book that will touch anyone’s heart, no matter how many years it has been beating upon this earth.

What Toy Story did to bring the beloved and classic toys to life, making them even more near and dear to our lives, is what Fantastic Flying Books does for, well, books. There you go: Toy Story and Book Story. No, this is not the same plot, but the after-effect is the same and will continue to blossom within you after the last page is read.

As for the plot, we are greeted by a writer, surrounded by still books, and yet he doesn’t seem satisfied. A storm comes along, brushing aside words, letters, and everything else. Books themselves embrace our protagonist in a wonderful way, creating a special life-long bond. Adventure is present and is displayed by many beautiful, warm illustrations. But more importantly, the love of books is the underlying theme.

There’s not much more I can say besides “please read this book”. If you value the importance of reading in yourself or your children, this book is sure to please.