ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein As a dog lover, I still wasn’t too thrilled to read a book written from a dog’s perspective—but I’m glad I did. The dog perspective breaks the paradigm of the mundane and forces the reader to think about life from a different standpoint. What happens when we drop our pretenses? Why can’t we just live in the moment? And, what are our own dancing zebras? (You’ll have to read the book to understand that last one.)

So, rule #1—don’t let the fact that it’s written from the dog’s perspective hold you back. Rule #2—don’t let the sad parts hold you back, either. Personally, I’m ranking this book up there with TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE. High statement, but well deserved. We knew Morrie was dying, and the writing is on the wall with THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN. It’s worth the journey; you’ll be glad you partook.

The fictional story is a congruent journey from point A to point B. Like other fiction, there are points of conflict and resolutions. However, I am most impressed at the subtle life lessons thrown into almost every chapter. You could probably go through the book with a highlighter and highlight one paragraph from each chapter that would be worthy of remembrance and review. It’s really something special. And for that, I’m giving it five stars and putting it on my favorites list.