ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Energy Addict: 101 Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ways to Energize Your Life

Energy Addict: 101 Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ways to Energize Your Life - Jon Gordon I’ve tried a few of Gordon’s other books, mostly being lured in by the catchy titles, but the allegorical method of content delivery didn’t float my boat. THE NO COMPLAINING RULE is probably my favorite of the bunch, and something that I plan to present as usable in my workplace. The others are decent leadership material that can be found in most other curriculums.

ENERGY ADDICT 101 is the meatiest of the Gordon books. Most of what is found in his other books is found here, and a lot more. The Energy Vampires are back, as well as the spiritual guidance that serves the basis of his other books. As mentioned in one of my other reviews, the spiritual element is not inclusive to any particular religion and can be utilized in whatever religious belief you hold.

For those that are reading the first few pages of this book via preview—don’t stop there! I was a bit turned off by the beginning. It seemed Gordon was advocating the purchase of off-brand water and other expensive nutritional items, perhaps to his own networked gain. But energy doesn’t have to come via the purse string; many of Gordon’s tips are sound, logical, and extremely helpful.

There is something for everyone in this book. I take issue with books that say “101 tips” because inevitably the tips begin to feel forced or repeated—this book is not an exception. However, most of the 101 ideas contain several bullet-pointed tips under the main heading, so there are hundreds of ideas to gain energy, and really, life.

While this is the book that I was really hoping all of Gordon’s other books would be, it is not the best on the subject. I still recommend it, but I would also encourage you to read Tom Rath’s EAT MOVE SLEEP, which is a more current, and more thoroughly documented book.