ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Your Family in Pictures: The Parents' Guide to Photographing Vacations, Family Portraits, Holidays, and Every Day - Koh,  Me Ra

Two things will happen when you read YOUR FAMILY IN PICTURES by Me Ra Koh: you’ll want to buy a better camera (especially if you are a currently relegated to using your cell phone camera), and you’ll want to buy Me Ra Koh’s other two books.

For the better camera: yes, the author gives great tips on how to take better pictures with your phone or point-and-shoot camera. However…you’ll begin to see all these GREAT pictures featured in the book, many taken with perfect lighting and high-end cameras. The author makes mention in her “recipes” for better photos to change the ISO settings and shutter speed, etc. Many lower-end and phone cameras have these features in a limited basis, but you’ll definitely notice the difference between your pictures and the pictures featured in the book.

As for the other books: the author often mentions them. She’ll talk about camera basics, such as the law of thirds or negative space, but it is enough to make you want to read them. Other reviewers of this book (FAMILY IN PICTURES) have also mentioned how great of a companion all three books have been. It’s not a bad thing, just be forewarned.

Regarding the advice itself, you will see improvement in your overall photos. Me Ra Koh gives some great introduction instructions (e.g., finding the right lighting in your home, what cloths to wear, etc.), and then breaks into situational sections (e.g., holidays, outings, etc.). There are numerous tips here that will give you great ideas on how to take a satisfying photo—with or without that $1,000 camera (though you’ll still want that $1,000 camera).

The quality of this book is top-notch. Don’t let the “paperback” throw you off. The cover is glossy and thick, and each page is full color and glossy as well. It is comfortable to read and easy to look-up particular advice. An electronic version on the Kindle Fire or iPad would be okay, but I would stay away from a Kindle Paperwhite version due to the high amount of color used in this book.

Bottom line: great book for beginners, as well as people with some already established picture knowledge seeking improvement. Not just for families, but for any picture taking featuring people.

I received this book for free for review through Blogging for Books.