ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Power of Noticing: What the Best Leaders See - Max Bazerman

This book is more about learning by example versus instruction. Author Max Bazerman shares stories, many of which he has personal involvement with, all about the power of noticing. Much of this likens to Malcom Gladwell’s method of sharing examples to illustrate the main theme, but without the same thought provoking or story telling ability. In other words, instead of offering bullet-pointed steps to practice the power of noticing, Bazerman gives detailed examples of recent news-headlined events and how noticing could have prevented catastrophe, both bodily and financial. These examples seem more rote than congruent.

Even in the final chapter “Developing the Capacity to Notice”, Bazerman is light on instruction or application and instead re-emphasizes his take on business methodology. I think this is what drove me to a lesser-starred review: I expected more “how to” versus the author’s autobiography and thoughts on the current and recent business world. To some, though, this will still be a worthwhile investment (as the author states) compared to the cost to take one of his college courses.

This book seems perfect for executives looking to learn from example and develop a bravado for asking out-of-bounds questions. Both safety and financial success depend on going against the group mentality and seeking the obscure, almost hidden details. Don’t be afraid to look, explore, and ask.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for providing an electronic version of this book for me to review.