ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Rewire: Change Your Brain to Break Bad Habits, Overcome Addictions, Conquer Self-Destructive Behavior - Richard O'Connor

Author Richard O’Connor just combined two of my favorite books: Daniel Hahneman’s THINKING, FAST AND SLOW and Eckhart Tolle’s THE POWER OF NOW. Not only did he combine them, he did it quite well, making it his own. This was an enjoyable, insightful read that I highly recommend.

Ouch!” That’s the first thing you’ll say. O’Connor lists out the bad habits—one by one. At first, you may not think you are that bad off. Then you flip the page. And another page. He’s got your number. Several of your numbers. Then O’Connor goes into detail of how we minimalize our bad habits, thinking they aren’t that destructive, and then he systematically proves how they are bad. Yeah, “ouch!”

But read on, fellow readers! You wouldn’t be looking at this book if you didn’t want to change. O’Connor doesn’t leave you in the heaps of disappointment; he shows various methods to change. He gives the scientific background of what works and doesn’t work, and then offers exercises to change. My favorite, as alluded to before, is mindfulness techniques and awareness. But this isn’t all breathing and meditating. O’Connor offers plenty of techniques for the “I don’t want this ‘ah-om’ stuff” folks (though the ‘ah-om’ stuff works—trust me…and trust O’Connor). He talks about journaling, and many other hearty techniques that are easy to implement and rid those nasty ol’ habits.

Bottom line: we all do things that we want to change or eliminate. O’Connor blends the best of what is out there and makes it practical, real, and obtainable. This is a great book that’ll give you a better life.

Thanks to Hudson Street Press and Penguin Group for providing this to me electronically for review.