ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Lucky Us: A Novel - Amy Bloom

If nothing else, read LUCKY US for the writing style. Seriously, Amy Bloom has a voice that resonates and causes ponder. Every sentence layers with meaning, extending imagination. In this, Bloom has collected fragments of time from movie-esque Americana, ultimately treating readers to a story at the heart of a family.

The beauty of the words will draw you along, yes. But folks, like me, that enter doe-eyed by symphonic literary script will need to grab the rails for the journey. It goes everywhere, coast-to-coast, both hunky-dory to raunchy-rowdy: all of it personal and tantalizingly written. To get your attention: lesbian orgy. Like I said, grab the rails because Bloom’s just getting started.

I hope I haven’t distracted you there, because this book goes much farther than country-wide adventure. One thing this book has above all else is heart. The thing that drives us, connects us, moves us, and inspires us. It is within us and connects us all. By the time you finish this book, you’ll see that no matter the differences, both in background and general life situation, we all yield that same zeal, drive, and longing. Not everything plays out as we hope or imagine, but we all come back to the same primal premise. Amy Bloom tells little-bit-of-everything story in a most masterful way.

Thanks to Random House for providing me with an electronic copy of this book to review. I found deep connection with this book. The writing was mesmerizing, the heart was touched. If you are a woman that shares a special bond with a sister: you must read this.