ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Oliver and the Seawigs - Philip Reeve, Sarah McIntyre

This is the best children’s book I’ve read since Neil Gaiman’s FORTUNATELY, THE MILK. Actually, I’d put it right up there with that one for imagination and sheer fun. I don’t know if Philip Reeve’s books are all written this well (it looks like the other books are tailored for a little older crowed), but I’ll definitely check them out.

First up, what is a seawig? Well, of course, it is a wig made of seaweed and other items from the sea. Of course. And, the moving rock island needs help from his friends if he wants to win the seawig contest. Between the submarine, monkeys, mermaid, and albatross, it all gets mixed up. Oh, and the missing parents. That too.

The writing is great, but I’m sure happy to see the pictures, too. Sarah McIntyre did a bang-up job of providing the flavor of the writing in drawing form. Look closely and you’ll see little hidden charms in each of the drawings. Besides getting more of Reeve’s books, I’ll be looking for McIntyre’s illustrations as well, probably starting with THERE’S A SHARK IN THE BATH.

There’s not much I can add to this besides a “thank you” to Random House for providing me an electronic review copy of this book. This is something kids will enjoy, but plenty of us grown-ups, too.