ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Tapping Solution for Weight Loss & Body Confidence: A Woman's Guide to Stressing Less, Weighing Less, and Loving More - Jessica Ortner

Nice try, girls. First, I found you trying to rock out with the Fit Bottomed Girls, and now I’ve found you tapping. Yeah, I’m onto you and your exclusive clubs. So, in the name of boys everywhere, I’ve snuck into the ranks and am walking way with the goodness contained within.

In other words, tapping for weight loss isn’t just for women. Yes, there are parts in here about understanding changes in the body, confidence, etc., but most of these things can be equally applied to men (hey, I wasn’t comfortable with the looks I got when my moobs developed). I get it, these things are real—many women would appreciate this—but really, men will find a ton of value here, too.

Jessica Ortner is a sly one: this isn’t just about weight loss. Tapping is for stress, fear..really, anything. And yes, I know tapping sounds weird. The author admits it sounds weird. But—it works! Since reading this book, I’ve tried it when stressed about medical appointments, and even before a crazy ride my kids wanted me to go on. Each time, it took me down a notch and made me accepting of the situation. And, when I felt like yelling at the kids? Yep, it worked then, too.

As for weight loss, I can see it working. It is about awareness and finding what is causing the cravings or desires to eat. There is no calorie counting here, but it may still be helpful to combine tapping with your favorite method of nutritional management, though it isn’t necessary. Again, tapping raises the awareness; the food approach is secondary.

You’ll get most of what you need in the first twenty percent of this book. Ortner goes over what tapping is, provides some of its scientific history, and details the strategies, along with providing charts. The rest of the book walks through the process for specific situations. Throughout, Ortner uses some great quotes to go along with the reviewed steps.

Long story, short: it works. Much to my surprise. One of the steps includes accessing your level (anger, stress, appetite) before and after the tapping exercise. It’s psychological, yes. But, it is an effective tool.

Thanks to Triple 7 and Hay House for the digital version of this book to review.