ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Good Suicides - Antonio Hill

THE GOOD SUICIDES is a dark and mysterious novel. The tone is set at the opening, describing a man that murdered his family and then killed himself: “What we cannot know is how to protect ourselves from the rancor that accumulates in silence, from that mute hatred which suddenly explodes one night and destroys everything.”

That quality, foreboding writing continues throughout. Author Antonio Hill produces two stories in one novel. On one hand, he continues the story of Inspector Salgado by trying to resolve what happened with the African witch doctor and his wife, and then introduces a new twisted story about a cosmetic company whose employees are killing themselves.

Mystery and darkness persist cover-to-cover. The inspectors are witness to infidelity, partner switching (some from one sex to another), domestic violence, S&M, father-in-law romance, and, of course, suicide and murder. Antonio Hill handles it all professionally, never trashy. He writes with intelligence, creating a perfectly paced story that builds and burns until the final sentence.

The one challenge I would forewarn you on are the names and locations used in this book. There are many names, all authentic to the Barcelona region. With family relationships within the cosmetic company, previous mysteries to be solved, who is dating whom, and several flashbacks, it would behoove you to write the names down as you progress through the novel. You’ll be thankful you did around the 200-page mark, when everything starts swirling together.

Another stand-out quote that comes later in the novel, which ties the book together and does not spoil, is a reference to the dogs. How they “work together to achieve a common goal”, but “when the hunt ends…they fight among themselves for the best morsel.” The imagery is haunting.

Thank you to Crown and Random House for sending me this book; I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review. They have offered these sites for further interest:

The main site for the book:

The author’s profile: