ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Never Eat Alone, Expanded and Updated: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time - Keith Ferrazzi, Tahl Raz

This is part business success and part Ferrazzi autobiography: both parts equally impressive. Make no mistake, if you want to succeed, you’ll have to work for it. This book isn’t about setting up lunch dates—it is MUCH more than that.

At the very base of it all, Ferrazzi says that you much have a goal and that it must be in writing. He uses his time at Yale as an example of wanting to achieve a goal and using this goal to guide him. Another big step is following up. Many people never follow up.

There are many things Ferrazzi offers in this book: all of them hard-hitting. At first, this book seemed to be the opposite of what I was reading in ESSENTIALISM, but not really. The purpose is to find that one thing, or two things, to commit to. And, yes, follow through. Ferrazzi is the definition of go-getter, offering a lot of advice. It could be easy to be caught up in planning dinner parties, working conferences, and more. It takes a lot of energy, but may be worth it—if that’s what you want. The choice is yours.

The updates referring to the digital age are throughout. There are special chapters, but more importantly are the add-ins found within the original chapters. Ferrazzi makes account for the power of LinkedIn, Twitter, blogs, and even Facebook. He talks about tools to manage the plethora of incoming messages and pings, and how to keep those relationships relevant.

Ferrazzi makes success seem believable, but you’ll need to know what you want and be willing to work for it. This is not an overnight success book or a think yourself successful book. Have a goal and Ferrazzi will give you the plan.

Thanks to Crown for providing me with an electronic review copy of this book.