ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Fight Club: A Novel

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk I hated Catcher in the Rye. I still do. Anyone giving it five stars probably hasn’t read it since high school. I agree, the book had a serious cultural impact, but it has become dated. I nominate Fight Club to takes its place on reading lists.

Okay, I get it, we can’t do that. One book features a student and the other features a working man. However, if we are looking for a modern critique on society, then Fight Club is the better choice.
I wish I could change the title without changing the book’s meaning. People that haven’t watched the movie or read the book see the words “Fight Club” and dismiss this as a senseless story of violence. I suppose Catcher in the Rye received similar confused critiques.

I enjoyed reading this quote-worthy book. It’s a great read; Chuck Palahniuk has a unique voice. However, I grew weary of witnessing the mental breakdown of the protagonist and the chop suey of words. Sentences repeated themselves and perspectives were mashed together. It all became sensory overload after a while—like staring at a Picasso painting for too long—brilliant, but wearing.

That said: here is a book that makes you think. Is there life in the realization of death? Is nothing static? And what is our end game? Deep thoughts that make this book a deserved read.