ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Amulet

Amulet - S. Wolf In the name of “research” and in an effort to expand my reading repertoire I asked for suggestions that met two requirements: fulfilled the criteria of the genre, and be well-written. AMULET by S. Wolf was a decent selection partially meeting those requirements.

AMULET is written in the third person narrative with a specific focus on protagonist Jason Ramsey. The book begins with Jason saving an older man from getting hit by a truck and in return Jason is rewarded with an amulet necklace that has the power to turn the wearer invisible. To be truly invisible though, the necklace wearer must be naked. Staying true to eighteen-year-old boy form, Jason’s first mission is to see the girl next door in the buff. Jason’s subsequent invisibility-shrouded missions include a visit to the girls’ locker room, his friend’s outdoor romp, the rabbit-like neighbors and more. While definitely erotic in nature the entire premise seemed…creepy.

The novel is comparable to other male-focused Young Adult literature. The beginning AMULET is a bit more juvenile, but after the first lusty scene, the author slows down, adding more description and time to his narrative.

Overall, S. Wolf deserves credit for working in a decent plot with some interesting twists. The typical Young Adult love triangle is here, but what gives the plot notice is the author’s method of including his protagonist’s bound-in-nudity invisible power to solve some more reprehensible problems. Despite Jason’s aforementioned creepy behavior, the reader ends up (sort of) sympathizing with him. Based on the reviews, the author seems to have taken these final sentimental moments and build upon them in AMULET 2.

For a self-published novel, AMULET is an okay endeavor. There are a few grammatical quips and un-lifelike plot choices, but it certainly fits most of the bill for being steamy and readable.