ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment - Susan Thurman THE ONLY GRAMMAR BOOK YOU’LL EVER NEED lives us to its name: it may actually be the only grammar book you’ll ever need. It is by far the most comprehensive and concise book on grammar that I’ve read, so far. The book is practically pocket size at 7 inches tall and 5.4 inches wide, yet I was surprised at how much content was shoved inside.

While occasionally slipping in some light humor, the authors stick to their succinct approach: offering a definition with bolded terms, followed by charted examples. (For more detailed explanations of topics, I recommend SIN & SYNTAX; for more humorous conjecture, I recommend GRAMMAR SNOBS ARE GREAT BIG MEANIES). The book covers the basic parts of a sentence, parts of speech, and even fits in common errors found by copyeditors and teachers.

I was also impressed by the comparison of terminology, such as showing the similarities in terms between linking and copulative verbs. I appreciate the authors encouraging dictionary use to determine parts of speech, which can be particularly helpful in conjugating verbs or figuring out if a verb is transitive or intransitive.

A few minor things were missing from this book. I would have liked a usage example for the predicate nominative (e.g. “this is he”). I didn’t find any mention of nomilizations (not a standard English term). And I would have liked a better explanation of gerunds.

Overall, I found this book to be extremely helpful in my approach to learning better grammar. I checked it out from the library, but it’s so good that I plan on buying it and keeping it on my shelf for reference and review.