ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Fortunately, the Milk

Fortunately, the Milk - Neil Gaiman, Skottie Young If you want something fun and imaginative to read, then Neil Gaiman has it for you. FORTUNATELY, THE MILK is about the third of the size of Gaiman’s CORALINE and THE GRAVEYARD BOOK, and also much less macabre. The story is set up perfectly. Mom leaves dad in charge, they need milk, dad blows it, and dad creates a fanciful story to make up his tracks.

I read this book to my kids in three sittings, but it could be done in more or less. Sometimes it is just as fun to close the book and talk about what you think will happen next.

If you are an adult looking to read this for yourself, just know that the fun is rather short, especially compared to other Gaiman writings—even OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE (which is his shortest “novel”). For new readers, this is just perfect.

I especially loved the plentiful illustrations. That was the one thing I wished THE GRAVEYARD BOOK had more of, and this book delivered.

If you are looking to escape, have a little fun, and perhaps a good laugh, then come along and join up. You won’t regret the journey.