ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

How Full Is Your Bucket? Positive Strategies for Work and Life

How Full Is Your Bucket?: Positive Strategies for Work and Life - Tom Rath, Donald O. Clifton This is probably one of the best personal success books I have read—ever. One simple strategy, contained in an easy to understand analogy, and everything else starts to fall together.

I had heard my kids talking about bucket filling after some lessons at school. I didn’t really know what they meant until after I read Tom Rath’s other book EAT MOVE SLEEP (which is also an amazing book), which exposed me to the author and this, his previous work.

Unlike EAT MOVE SLEEP, there isn’t a lot to HOW FULL IS YOUR BUCKET. Out of the 128 pages of this book, about half are full-page quotes or illustrations. The remaining half of text is broken down into thirds—the first two-thirds being the build-up to the importance of bucket filling. The final third of the book breaks down what being a bucket filler is all about.

Once you become a bucket filler, so many other things fall into place: energy levels, confidence, rapport, and effective job performance—among many other combined and critical elements. You could probably get the same gist by reading one of the children’s books, but reading this “grown-up” version relates more to the office and everyday life that adults face.

If you read both of Rath’s books, you’ll be doing very well for yourself. You’ll be healthier, happier, and more satisfied with life. Really.