ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk

How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk - Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish Our next award goes to the parenting book with the longest title. And the winner is . . . HOW TO TALK SO KIDS WILL LISTEN & LISTEN SO KIDS WILL TALK. Even its acronym HTTSKWLALSKWT is too long. For the sake of this review, can we just call this book KID TALK? Thanks for your understanding.

KID TALK is a classic for a reason—there’s some sturdy advice here. The problem is remembering everything. Thankfully the authors help by presenting a few techniques, review the techniques, add in cartoons for the visually-minded, and then present the techniques in a question and answer format. Parents who take the time to methodically work through this book will be greatly benefited.

For parents short on time, I recommend IF I HAVE TO TEL YOU ONE MORE TIME (the title actually goes on beyond this, but this will get you to the right book). No matter the book you read, though, you’ll still have to invest in an effort to change. Sometimes not-so-great parenting habits stand between us and the simplest solutions. It takes work.

There are some great parenting books available, but KID TALK is easily one of the best. As the title implies, it helps to accomplish two of the biggest challenges in raising children: getting them to listen, and getting them to talk.

I’m giving this book four stars, not because it wasn’t great, but because for me it could have been edited down into a more digestible and more easily executed format. The cartoons were a great idea, but the text could have popped a bit more.