ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know (101 (Thomas Nelson))

The Great Stone of Sardis - Frank R. Stockton The title of this book is correct, not that there are 101 ideas about teamwork, but rather this is an introductory class into teamwork. Maxwell says as much in his introduction—this is a gathering of ideas from his other books and is not meant for in-depth discussion. What remains is “there’s no I in teamwork” type of conversation. It’s okay, but doesn’t offer a lot of traction.

The main takeaways I received from this book are: stay humble, do things together, build trust, communicate, and empower others. Aside from the small amount of related stories, there’s not much more to this book.

The largest point of contention I have with this book is the treatment of unproductive team members. My personal philosophy is that everyone has something to contribute or that they are passionate about. Sometimes we may not have an option to get rid of unproductive team members, as Maxwell clearly advocates. I understand his point of drag and the power of negative energy, but it seems that more modern business books deal with this in a more effective manner than compared with offing the member from your team.

Overall, this is a quick read and can refocus you on the value of teamwork. It’s not groundbreaking, nor as inspiring as some of its other business counterparts. Maxwell is a great author, but this book seemed more like a cheap way to grab shelf space.