ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy - Karen Foxlee Wow. I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. It’s charming, it’s magical, and it’s fun. The prologue started with a bit of highbrow fantasy, but that aside, the book has everything you’d expect and want in a children’s fantasy book.

Much like its Narnia predecessor, the protagonist (Ophelia) in this story is brought sans-mother to a remote location and benefactor for her care. In this case, the location is a museum—and that works out wonderfully. Ophelia happens upon a boy that claims she is the one he has been waiting for, and she is the only one that can save the world.

I had my doubts because kids’ book like this can delve into the realm of corny—but this was far from it. The author is a skilled and experienced writer that moved the story along perfectly. The characters were well developed, the action was well paced, and the mystery was gripping. And most importantly, the whole thing was a lot of fun.

I read this on my own, but I can easily see myself reading this again with my children. I truly hope the author picks this up and makes it a series or continues something like this.

Thank you to Random House Children’s for sending me a digital review copy.