ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Getting to It: Accomplishing the Important, Handling the Urgent, and Removing the Unneccessary - Jones Loflin Getting to It! ushers in the next phase of personal success evolution. My journey started with authors Zig Ziglar and Napoleon Hill. I dug into the periphery of Tony Robbins and Dale Carnegie. And then I stood and cheered as Stephen R. Covey revolutionized the industry with his seven habits and four quadrants. I’ve been to the seminars telling me to meet at the top and I’ve sat in the workshops figuring out what things went first. I can confidently say that Jones Loflin and Todd Musig have taken the years of study and philosophy and brought us to the next level.

The authors write about a large number of people that still aren’t setting goals. I can attest this is true based on my experiences working for non-profits, Fortune 500 companies, being employed by the government, and even in activities with my children. Why? I think there’s too much clutter, too many items pinging us for attention—too many “its” to figure out. We too frazzled to figure out if this a second quadrant item or a fourth quadrant item. People walk out of seminars feeling pumped up, but are loaded down with specially designed planners that look like math homework. They end up being overwhelmed and never get anywhere.

This is it. This is the solution that is heavily influenced by everything you’ve been to, and this is what takes it one step further—actually getting it done. The first chapter or two sets the paradigm and gets everyone on the same sheet of music. Yes, that was just cliché, but it was intentional. If the beginning of the book sounds familiar, it’s because it is. Once the authors get everyone up-to-speed (another workism) they take off into new territory.

Like other great books in this genre, we are given new analogies to work with. One of my favorite Covey analogies of the past has been filling a fish tank with big rocks and little rocks. In this book, Getting to It!, the two new analogies are a funnel and an empty lot needing to be cultivated; my favorite of the two being the lot. These are great images that sit in my mind as I tackle “it”.

Kudos to the authors and editors of this book for making it flow smoothly. This reads as if I was sitting in a conference, listening to the speaker. I wish there were pictures, charts, and graphs to help illustrate the points, but maybe this is something that shows up in the book form (I read this on my Kindle). This could have especially benefited the authors’ discussion about using filters. However, there are bullet points and exercises, so it’s not a lost concept. I also found the highlight quotes featured on some pages were the same ones I highlighted from the text—this means important concepts are made clear.

Despite my long history of reading books like this, I’m walking having learned two new ideas (beside the already mentioned analogies). One idea is scope creep, which is allowing the scope of “it” to grow and morph away from the original definition. The other idea is the true affect that multitasking has on a person trying to achieve “it”.

Overall, this book pulls together most everything we’ve learned so far in trying to define our lives, better our business, and achieve our dreams—and then it advances us to the next level of thinking. It would be unfair for me to say this is a revolutionary book, but I can say in all honesty that this book is evolutionary. The authors have done a great job of culminating strategies, simplifying them, and presenting them in a new and easy to understand format. If you are looking to better yourself and achieve your personal (or business-driven) goals, then you owe it to yourself to read “Getting to It!”