ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

The Church of the Wood

The Church of the Wood - E.J. Weber THE CHURCH OF THE WOOD is an impressive first effort for self-published author E.J. Weber that serves up much of the nineteenth century romanticism that is rarely found today. In THE CHURCH OF THE WOOD, Weber brings us back to the faeries used during Middle English times, who are more insidious and potentially dangerous than their more modern Tinkerbelle-like counterparts. Weber's soft prose flows with slow surefootedness as the story unfolds.

THE CHURCH OF THE WOOD begins with the story of Father Brion, the priest of The Church of the Wood, who is speculative of the faerie legends belonging to The Wood. Brion beguiles an orphaned faerie child through a food offering that he leaves in The Wood. As with the best of Shakespearean plays, the title characters are set aside for a brief moment to highlight many of the other happenings around the land of Calundra—both in the castle and in the land. The theme may not be clearly defined, but the story’s thread does tie together as the tales are told. Many times surprising twists come about, leading to the final conclusion.

Those seeking a fast-moving plot with a tightly woven central conflict may not appreciate the nuanced affect this book has. I’m sure there are many people seeking this type of novel that serves as a call to the classic influences. There aren’t many modernly published books that retain these influences; fans of classic romanticism will find a true treasure within THE CHURCH OF THE WOOD.