ryandejonghe

Ryan DeJonghe - The Avid Reader

Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)

Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3) - Chuck Wendig The Cormorant brings Miriam Black for much of the same—and more. There’s cursing, action, cursing, plot twists, cursing, sex, cursing, violence, and cursing. OK, it’s really not that bad, but if you’re going into this with virgin eyes, be prepared for a no holds barred adventure that’s balls-to-the-walls nearly the entire 384 pages. Awesome, right? Standby.

If you’ve read Chuck Wendig’s prolific blog or the prior two Miriam Black adventures, you’ll be right at home here. And that’s just it: home. Wendig has done an amazing job developing a growing following of fans with his indistinguishable voice. He’s lewd and crude and lays it all out. He’s like a rock star—a heavy metal rock star. Fans of such will appreciate the ride. Others may not appreciate the nuances amongst the loud noise.

Many people will cheer “hell yeah” as Miriam rips through the pages. She’s the type of character that people like to cheer for. She’s kicks ass, yet she’s deeply flawed. Some people won’t cheer—simply because of those flaws. She gets into messes and her personality is a reflection of such.

For me, I’m going to have to restrict my rating based on the complexity of the writing. The plot was interesting, yes. There were twists, yes. There was adventure, yes. But everything seemed to hit the same note. It’s like reading a video game versus reading a novel. Many people will love this, but it’s just not what I’m after in book form.

Thanks to Angry Robot for providing me a review copy of this book.